can there be any legal proceedings against a person for a non cognisable offence after three years

0 votes
asked Apr 12, 2016 in Criminal Law by anonymous
<p>sometime back I got in a street fight with a person,this person was the local police station driver,he was without uniform and was drunk,I accepted my mistake and since that was my first such mistake,the officer in charge let me go with a warning,I wanted to know if there can be any further legal proceedings against me still.</p>

1 Answer

0 votes
answered May 21, 2016 by Env Coord

Refer to Section 468 of the Cr.P.C., 1973

Section 468 – Bar to taking cognizance after lapse of the period of limitation

  1. Except as otherwise provided elsewhere in this Code, no Court, shall take cognizance of an offence of the category specified in Sub-Section (2), after the expiry of the period of limitation.
  2. The period of limitation shall be-
    1. six months, if the offence is punishable with fine only;
    2. one year, if the offence is punishable with imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year;
    3. three years, if the offence is punishable with imprisonment for a term exceeding one year but not exceeding three years.
  3. For the purposes of this section, the period of limitation, in relation to offences which may be tried together, shall be determined with reference to the offence which is punishable with the more severe punishment or, as the case may be, the most severe punishment.


Welcome to Lawhelpline - Online Free Legal Answers in India. Here, you can ask your legal questions and receive answers from Top Expert Lawyers, Advocates, and Attorneys.

Benefit To Lawyers - Lawyers (Advocates) can register account here to increase their clients. They can answer the questions asked by other users. Also, they can post those questions themselves and answer them that are asked frequently. This will make other users to know answers without asking on your behalf. You can put your details (phone, email, experience, expertise) on your profile.

Register Here

Watch Video For Asking Question Here