Will my new surname after marriage give trouble for Higher Study as my maiden name recorded in all PREVIOUS academic papers?

0 votes
asked Jun 18 in Civil Law by Sudipta Roy
I am a 29 year old married woman . I hail from Chhattisgarh state and my schooling was done in Chhattisgarh state ( C.G. Board) .After marriage I relocated to West Bengal.

Before marriage my full name was Sudipta GHOSH. After marriage , I have changed my surname to ROY as per my husband's surname.

My marriage is registered according to HINDU marriage act . In my marriage certificate my name is mentioned as "SUDIPTA ROY nee GHOSH" .
Thus my name after marriage became SUDIPTA ROY.

In my new voter card , PAN card ,Aadhaar card , I have changed my name as Sudipta ROY with help of marriage certificate. But all my academic documents (till date) has my maiden name .

Recently , I have joined as a lecturer in a engineering college with the changed name. Now, I want to pursue higher study.

I have the following questions in the same context.

1)Is marriage certificate sufficient to legalize and recognize the change of my surname (due to marriage) ?

2) Do I need to sworn an affidavit also before Notary or 1st class judicial magistrate for this change of surname? If an affidavit is needed , please let me know what is the format of the affidavit?
Do I also need to publish my SURNAME change details  due to marriage to any newspaper ad or official gazette?

3) If I want to pursue higher study what is correct way to write my name - The changed name (Sudipta Roy) OR the old name (Sudipta Ghosh) as per the previous academic record?

4) Do I need to change my surname in previous academic certificates issued by C.G. Board? Is it at all possible at this time? Does school board and university allow to change name due to marriage in old academic records ?

5)  If I go abroad for Higher study with my new name printed in passport  ,but with academic certificates with previous surname , will it create any problem?

Please log in or register to answer this question.

Welcome to Lawhelpline - Online Free Legal Answers in India. Here, you can ask your legal questions and receive answers from Top Expert Lawyers, Advocates, and Attorneys.

Benefit To Lawyers - Lawyers (Advocates) can register account here to increase their clients. They can answer the questions asked by other users. Also, they can post those questions themselves and answer them that are asked frequently. This will make other users to know answers without asking on your behalf. You can put your details (phone, email, experience, expertise) on your profile.

Register Here

Watch Video For Asking Question Here